Updated: Aug 26, 2019
There is much to say on this topic, but I will do my best to be brief. I am very passionate about being an IT recruiter and entrepreneur and I would like to share some of the lessons I have learned along the way.
In order to set up your own IT recruitment agency, I recommend that you take the following steps.
1. Be realistic: Take an honest look inside yourself and see if you are ready to interact with difficult personalities and tough competition. If that's OK with you and you have similar experiences in other jobs, it's time to go your own way as an entrepreneur. In time, you will have to develop an individual recruiting style.
2. Create a business plan: Find out about the market in which you will operate your IT recruitment business, be it local, national or international. Identify your target clients and don’t create a plan without a market analysis.
3. Learn and read a lot about the tech industry: Most recruiters don’t have a technical background, so start improving this lack. You don't need advanced knowledge, you just need the basics to get an overview and not confuse terms. You must also understand the people you are doing business with, whether they are clients or candidates.
4. Keep recruiters close, but IT specialists closer: This is one of my favourite topics and you can find more information about it in this blog. Choose people who can lead you to success and who are willing to assist you with technical advice.
5. Prepare for the worst and have a plan B: it is better to be a pessimist than to lose your business because you are unrealistically optimistic. So, keep plan B in mind.
6. Build your personal and professional brand: To be known on the market is a long-term professional goal for every company. Make it a habit to be active in social media and to engage with your audience. You will collect the harvest over time.
Follow these steps and remember that authenticity is the key.