Updated: Feb 25, 2020
Networking events are the perfect opportunity for you to communicate with your connections. Asking thoughtful questions is critical to your job search or to further your career or business. It's not appropriate to ask someone from your network to secure you a job, but you could probably ask less important questions that will form the basis for future impact.
If you are in a group of professionals and lack inspiration on how to continue the conversation, just ask some of these 30 questions, and don’t forget that too many questions feel like an interrogation:
1. How did you manage to pursue such an amazing career path?
2. What led you to this career decision?
3. What would you change to your career if possible?
4. How long have you been doing this job?
5. What is your next career step?
6. Do you enjoy working remotely?
7. Is there someone in your network who can support me?
8. Do you know anything about the company “X”?
9. Do you have recommendations for “X” industry conferences?
10. Do you have recommendations for “X” industry events?
11. What kind of projects are you currently working on?
12. What’s your favourite part of the job?
13. What are the biggest challenges?
14. What changes/trends have you noticed recently in your field?
15. How long have you been working for the company “X”?
16. What’s the culture like?
17. What do you enjoy outside of work?
Asking for an opinion:
18. Do you attend “X” industry events?
19. What is your opinion about my work so far?
20. Do you have any insights on this topic?
21. Is there a better approach to solve this problem?
22. Do you have any advice for anyone at my professional level?
23. What kind of background does anyone need to work in this field?
24. How do you think your industry will develop in the future?
25. Which books can you recommend?
Questions regarding recommendations:
26. Can you introduce me to someone from the HR department in your company?
27. Do you have other suggestions on how to contact the “X” department?
28. Could you recommend/endorse me on LinkedIn?
Questions for keeping in touch:
29. How can I help you?
30. Would you like to stay in contact?
Just asking some of these thoughtful questions does not guarantee networking success. The whole process is a challenge. Relationships are more than just kind words. Also, share your own experiences and politely answer the questions you receive.